It’s that time of year when the sun is out almost every day, it’s hot, and all we want to do is lay out and get some sun-kissed skin. I know that’s what I’m thinking about! It’s safe to say the hot summer heat isn’t always our best friend. As much as our bodies need Vitamin D to survive and function properly, too much sun exposure can lead to harmful health problems.
We’ve all been told before how we should be wearing sunscreen and protecting ourselves from Mr. Sun, but let’s be real, how many of us actually listened when our moms told us to lather on that sunblock?! As a teenager, being tan was all I cared about so I always opted out on the sunblock. Actually, fun fact, I only had sunburn one time in my life…flashback to Florida in 2012 with my best friend, LOL.
I’ve done it all. Tanning beds (I use to work at a tanning salon, lol), tanning oil, and zero sunblock. Although I didn’t get sunburn, soon enough I learned the consequences of too much UV exposure. I have done a lot of research on my own and let’s just say my teenage self wasn’t the smartest when it came to proper skin care in the summer time. We live, and we learn though, right?!
I’ve grown up a bit since my tanning bed days and I learned taking proper care of your skin is part of being healthy! Who knew, right?! (Just kidding).
So, with that said, today I am sharing all of my current summer skin care tips, tricks, and products! These products and tricks are all non-toxic which will make your skin thank you even more!
Non-Toxic Skin Care for Summer:
Tips, Tricks, and Products I am Loving!
- My first tip may be a no brainer, but then again, it’s also probably one of the most neglected. Find a good, non-toxic sunscreen you love and trust! As most things we come in contact with, sunscreen is full of chemicals, so it is important to find a brand that protects your skin but without compromising your health. There’s several brands out there so do your research and choose one based on what your skin needs!
- Purchase a face moisturizer with SPF already in it or buy sunscreen specifically for your face. Although it is important to protect our whole body, our face receives the most UV exposure, as it is almost always uncovered. Overtime you will start to see random freckles and dark spots appear if you aren’t properly protecting that precious face of yours.
- Apply sunscreen OFTEN.This is especially important if you are using a non-toxic brand. Since it doesn’t have the chemicals in it, it doesn’t last as long and may not be sweat or water resistant. So, apply apply apply!
*Read the packaging of your sunscreen to know how often to reapply it. If it doesn’t tell you, follow this simple rule-
Take the estimated time for your skin to burn (for a fair-skinned individual, usually 10-20 minutes) and multiply it by the SPF. So, for example, let’s say you notice redness 10 minutes after being in the sun and you are using SPF 15. 15 SPF x 10 minutes = 150 minutes until you need to re-apply.
Following this rule (esp with non-toxic sunscreen) will make such a difference and you are less likely to burn!
- Know the difference between sunscreen and sunblock. Sunscreen will act as a screen. It doesn’t block UV exposure, but it provides a filter to lessen the harmful effects. Sunblock will actually block the sun, not letting any, or very minimal, UV rays on your skin.
- Have an after-sun skincare regimen. Not only is it important to take care of your skin while you’re outside under the sun’s rays, but it is also important to treat your skin post fun in the sun. They make non-toxic after sun sprays and lotions, but again you have to look around and see what works best for you! Taking care of your skin after being out in the sun helps restore and replenish the skin’s health and bring moisture back to the body. Plus, if you do burn a little, it will ease any pain or discomfort and decrease healing time.
BARE Republic mineral sunscreen. I have been using this brand for the last year now and it has worked wonders for me. Again, I don’t burn easily and have naturally olive colored skin, so this may not work for you. It’s a little oily, but nothing too extreme, it’s also thick so you know you’ll get coverage, and smells absolutely amazing. I use both the lotion and stick.
Young Living’s Mineral Sunscreen Lotion. I have yet to try this out but ya’ll know I stand by everything YL! Their products haven’t failed me yet, so I don’t doubt this is anything but amazing! If you are interested in giving this a try, please shoot me an email and I would be happy to help you out!
Young Living LavaDerm After-Sun Spray. A non-toxic after-sun spray to soothe any minor burns from Mr. Sun! This also provides a cooling sensation and helps restore your skin after playing in the sun. It doubles as a spray to help heal minor scrapes and wounds as well. Again, contact me if you are interested in this product!
Young Living Lavender Essential Oil. Lavender eo is the most versatile oil out there! Although used for many things, it is known for healthy skin! Apply 1-2 drops to a teaspoon of your favorite carrier oil and rub all over your body to help heal and soothe your sun-kissed skin!
Do you have any skin care tips that you swear by in the summer time?! If so, share them! I’m always eager to learn more!
*DISCLAIMER* Essential oils do not treat, prevent, cure, or heal any illnesses and you shouldn’t use them in replace of a prescribed medication. Always talk with your physician before using essential oils.
*If you are interested in purchasing any essential oils that I have shared, please visit the Essential Oils tab and contact me directly.
Share your thoughts with me! Comment below or head to my Instagram page (@iamdevonjade)!