Intention Setting for the New Year 2018
First and foremost, HAPPY NEW YEAR, BABES! I hope you all had an amazing holiday season! This last week I took some unintentional time off of social media and blogging. It felt great! But now I am back and ready to get the ball rolling again! So, let’s jump right in!
As soon as we hear the words “New Year” there seems to be this sudden panic of always doing better, being better, and setting these huge unattainable goals for ourselves. That’s not to say the New Year isn’t the perfect time to clean up your act, but it’s also not the only time.
I love a fresh clean slate just like the next person and New Year’s always feels like that for me. But I am constantly setting goals and intentions for myself each and every week, and you can too! So maybe this is it. This is your year to get your sh*t together. Kudos to you! That’s amazing! But let me tell you one thing… don’t be so hard on yourself.
Setting goals and making intentions has become a huge part of my everyday life. I truly believe it makes all the difference. It can be scary, nerve wracking, and even sometimes difficult but when we step outside our comfort zones, amazing things can happen. Today I want to share with you some tips, tricks, and even some advice on setting intentions for 2018. I will also share some of my own personal goals and intentions + what you can expect from me this year.
GOALS VS. INTENTIONS
The words “goal” and “intention” are thrown around quite often and while they’re pretty similar they actually have differences. Goals are focused on the future. They are something you aim for at a later date. Goals don’t happen right away. Intentions are focused on the present moment, what you intend to do right now. When you set a goal, you are setting a deadline, while when we make intentions you live them day by day. They are both great to have but some people do prefer one over the other.
So, your first question might be “why would I set goals or make intentions for myself?” and while that may be quite obvious to some, it’s not always so clear. Setting goals for yourself makes you more motivated to take the needed steps to reach said goal. Your goal(s) can be anything, big or small. But make sure they’re attainable. (Walking on the moon is possible but it may not be realistic in 2018 for you). For example, “I plan on graduating from college in 4 years” is a great goal to set for yourself.
Setting intentions is a little different but are still very beneficial. I personally love setting intentions for myself because it really keeps me present. We set intentions to better live in the present moment and to enhance our own personal growth. Just like goal setting, making intentions can be anything you want them to be, but make them realistic. A good example of intention setting is, “I intend to be more kind to my body”.
HOW TO SET GOALS + INTENTIONS FOR YOURSELF:
TIPS AND TRICKS
- Start small. Just because your goal isn’t to walk on the moon doesn’t mean it’s not important. For example, if your goal is to become more physically fit, make it a goal to go to the gym 3x a week rather than 7x a week and freaking out when you miss a day.
- You can always adjust your goals. The awesome thing about goals are they aren’t permanent. They can be “working” goals if you will. Change and tweak them as needed.
- Make them attainable. This goes for both your goals and your intentions. In this case you don’t have to “go big or go home”.
- Use your intentions to reach your goals. If your goal is to lose weight make your intention to be more kind and loving to your body, to listen to your body more.
- Make it a part of your routine. Take the time to make this fun! Carve out 10-30 minutes a week or even once a month to set goals and intentions for yourself. Get creative!
- Hold yourself accountable. Get a journal, tell a friend, stick post-it notes everywhere!
- Don’t be so hard on yourself. This isn’t do or die. Life happens and sometimes we can’t always reach our goal by the deadline we set. Be flexible.
- Come back to your intentions/goals. Write them down, hold yourself accountable, and come back to them everyday. Physically reading them each day is said to make them actually happen rather than writing them down and forgetting about it.
MY GOALS AND INTENTIONS + WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT FROM ME IN 2018
While I’m not going to go into too much detail because I want to keep some things a surprise for ya’ll, you can expect a few things from me…
- Higher quality content (on both my Instagram and blog)
- A Facebook group to better connect and chat with you all
- Lots of meditation.
- More yoga
- Marry my fiancé!!!
- Start a family?!?!
- An opportunity to have me as your Life and/or Wellness Coach
- Bringing back the fashion tab to my blog
I am so excited to see what this next year holds. The last two years have been nothing short of amazing and I have high hopes for 2018. In March, it’ll be one whole year since I’ve started blogging and I cannot wait to start another year sharing with you guys and doing what I love!
Share your thoughts with me! Comment below or head to my Instagram page (@iamdevonjade)!