Hi loves! Today on the blog I am sharing a short and sweet post that will answer some of your questions on how I take care of my hair! Yep, if ya couldn’t tell by now I am sharing my top tips and secrets to my hair care routine!
My hair has been through A LOT. I have been dying my hair since I was 16 years old and have had every hair color under the sun (black, brown, red, blue, purple, rose gold, and blonde)! As much fun as changing your hair color is, it is also not very healthy for our hair. But, if you take proper care of it in between all the bleaching and dying you should be GOLDEN!
HEALTHY HAIR TIPS + TRICKS
and My Hair Care Routine
- Wait as long as you can to dye your hair. If you’re anything like me and are always changing your hair color, hold off as long as possible to get your roots touched up. I typically go get my hair done every 2 months. I personally don’t mind a little grown in roots, especially if my hair stays healthy, so waiting this long works great for me!
- Get regular haircuts/trims. Try and get an inch (or less if you really must) off of your hair every 6 weeks or so. This prevents breakage and keeps your hair looking long.
- Keep your hair down. The more you wear your hair up in a ponytail the more it’ll break. Think about how much the elastic is pulling on your hair when you wear it up, and also when you yank on it to take it down.
- Don’t wash your hair. Hear me out…You can wash your hair (obviously) but don’t do it every day, it dries it out! For me, I can go a week without washing my hair. Sunday’s are my designated hair washing days. The natural oil from your own scalp is soooo nourishing.
- Coconut oil. Yeah, I said it. Add some coconut oil onto your whole head and keep it in as long as you can before you wash it. It won’t make your hair oily, I promise. Coconut oil makes your hair more voluminous, stronger, and growth time faster. I like adding a few drops of Cedarwood, Lavender, and Rosemary essential oils for added benefits!
- A healthy diet. A healthy diet is SO important for healthy hair. Restricting calories, protein, and good fats can be damaging to your hair. Make sure to have a well-balanced diet and your hair will GLOW.
What does MY hair care routine look like?
I like to get my hair done (whatever that is during that time, right now it is a full head of highlights) every other month. This is also the time when I get my hair trimmed as well. I can deal with grown in roots and it ensures I am not over doing it and killing my hair. It also saves me some $$. (Yes, I know hair dye is not nontoxic. I like to live by the 80/20 rule and treating myself to getting my hair done is part of that 20)!
I only like to wash my hair 1x a week. Lately I have been washing my hair every Sunday or Monday and putting coconut oil in it 12-24 hours before washing it. If I’m feeling extra fancy I will add in some essential oils to promote hair growth.
When it’s hair washing day, I like to rinse out all of the coconut oil prior to putting my shampoo in. Once the oil is out I lather my hair with shampoo (make sure to SCRUB your scalp!!!) and let it sit while I was my body. After I rinse my shampoo out I use conditioner and usually let that sit in my hair for the rest of my shower; I rinse it out right before I get out.
After the shower when my hair is wet I like to add a nontoxic leave in conditioner and brush it with a wide tooth comb (doesn’t damage or pull your hair). Then let it air dry. In between washes I rarely use any heat on it and occasionally, if needed, will soak up any excess dirt and oil with my D.I.Y. (toxic free) Dry Shampoo!
Share your thoughts with me! Comment below or head to my Instagram page (@iamdevonjade)!
My Hair Evolution through the last year, lol.