It’s that time of year when the sun is out almost everyday, it’s hot, and all we want to do is lay out and get some sun-kissed skin. I know that’s what I’m thinking about! It’s safe to say the hot summer heat isn’t always our best friend. As much as our bodies need Vitamin D to survive and function properly, too much sun exposure can lead to harmful health problems.
We’ve all been told before how we should be wearing sunscreen and protecting ourselves from Mr. Sun, but let’s be real, how many of us actually listened when our moms told us to lather on that sunblock?! As a teenager, being tan was all I cared about so I always opted out on the sunblock. Actually fun fact, I only had sunburn one time in my life…flashback to Florida in 2012 with my best friend, LOL.
I’ve done it all. Tanning beds (I use to work at a tanning salon, lol), tanning oil, and zero sunblock. Although I didn’t get sunburn, soon enough I learned the consequences of too much UV exposure. I have done a lot of research on my own and let’s just say my teenage self wasn’t the smartest when it came to good ole Mr. Sun. We live and we learn though, right?!
I’ve grown up a bit since my tanning bed days and once I became very into health and wellness I learned taking proper care of your skin is part of being healthy! Who knew, right?! (Just kidding).
So with that said, today I am sharing all of my current summer skin care tips, tricks, and products! these products and tricks are all nontoxic which will make your skin thank you even more!
Summertime Skincare Tips & Tricks
+ products I am currently using
1. Use a daily face moisturizer with SPF already in it. Even when it’s not summer or the sun isn’t shining, your skin is still exposed to the sun. In fact overcast can actually give you sunburn! Besides, I’m sure most of you already use a moisturizer anyways, so why not make it with SPF in it?!
2. If you don’t use face moisturizer or you can’t find a decent moisturizer with SPF in it, use a stick sunscreen and apply it to your face daily. I use coconut oil as my moisturizer so that’s what I do! I have been loving the brand BARE Republic. It is a natural mineral sunscreen that is chemical and toxic free. I use the stick for my face! And if you don;t want nay moisturizer on your face, wear a hat!
3. If you still want to go outback, or by the beach or pool, and get your tan on then make sure to wear either sunblock or sunscreen! Sunblock will help prevent the sun’s rays from reaching your skin, where sunscreen acts well like a screen. It allows you to get a tan but without damaging your skin. Again, I use BARE Republic. For my body I use the regular tube instead of the stick. You can get it here.
4. If you are using natural, nontoxic sunscreen or sunblock make sure to reapply it often! Nontoxic sunscreens don’t have the chemicals that make it last for hours, it WILL need to be re applied more frequently!!!
5. How to tell when to reapply it? Well most bottles or tubes tell you, but if they don’t, I got you covered! Take the estimated time for your skin to burn (for a fair-skinned individual, usually 10-20 minutes) and multiply it by the SPF. So, for example, let’s say you notice redness 10 minutes after being in the sun and you are using SPF 15. 15 SPF x 10 minutes = 150 minutes until you need to re apply.
6. After your skin is exposed to the sun you’ll want to have an after sun care regimen. I love using Lavender essential oil. It is soon nourishing to your skin and will soothe and help heal any burning you may have.
I hope this helped and maybe even inspired some of you to start wearing sunscreen/block! If not, research it and you’ll see the horror stories of not taking care of your skin! Being healthy isn’t just what you eat and how you workout, it’s about your WHOLE body, skin included.
Share your thoughts with me! Comment below or head to my Instagram page (@iamdevonjade)!