Hello, beautiful humans! I am sharing with you all today “MyTop 5 Tips On How To Meditate”. A little while back I put up a post sharing all about meditation and the ins and outs of it. If you want to go read that, then go ahead, here’s the link, Meditation-Connecting To Your True Self
Meditation isn’t always easy, especially when you are first starting out. When I first began meditating I felt lost and like I sucked at it. And that is why I am sharing my top tips on this topic because I wish I had something like this when I started! They are not in any specific order and are my own personal essentials for when I meditate.
Here we go—
My Top 5 Tips On How To Meditate
1. Find a quiet *sacred* space. When you first begin meditating you will get distracted a lot and most likely find your mind wondering and wondering. That’s OKAY. To help with those distractions, make sure to find a space where it is free of noise and chaos. Also, choose a space that is special, or sacred, to you. Sounds a little silly but it helps! When you are in a room or space that makes you feel comfortable you are less likely to get distracted and your focus will be better. An example of this could be your bedroom or an office. You know you’ll be comfortable in your bedroom because, well, you sleep there! I meditate in a little nook in my living room because that is where I have everything I need and I feel comfortable there.
2. Try guided meditation. When you begin your meditation journey it is difficult to just sit down and start. One, because you might not know what you’re doing and two, because it’s new! With guided meditation someone guides you through the practice and it makes you more focused. Believe it or not, meditating is more than breathing and following along to someone’s voice will definitely help you get more comfortable with it. Look up videos on Youtube or download some meditation apps! I will make a third post on apps specific for meditation soon.
3. Get comfy. Meditating does not mean sitting crossed legged on your head with your hands folded in prayer. While that is what you may see on the internet, and maybe advanced meditators do actually do that, you don’t have to. But if you want to try, go for it. By get comfy, I simply mean wear clothes that aren’t uncomfortable; i.e. too hot, too cold, itchy, etc etc. Dress and do your hair and whatever else you want, the way YOU want to. The way that makes YOU comfortable. Because if you’re in your sacred space, in comfy clothes, you’re already setting yourself up for success. Aside from what to wear, also sit, stand, lie down, how you want to as well. This could mean sitting on a cushion, laying in your bed, or standing in mountain pose. Heck, if you want to cuddle up in a blanket, do it! Just get comfy.
4. Breathe. You are probably laughing but seriously. Breathe. Take a deep breath in and out. This isn’t that serious. People go into meditating thinking they have to shut off their brains and literally not think, I know I did. Well, that is WRONG. Relax. Begin with an open mind and no intentions to perfect the practice. It is going to take time and getting mad at yourself for ‘not meditating correctly’ is not worth it. We all sucked when we started.
5. Pick a time and stick with it. They say when you want to form a habit you should do it at the same time, everyday. This is entirely up to you. Choose a time of day where it fits into your schedule, a place where you won’t be bothered, and a time that you can do every single day. I choose to meditate as soon as I wake up. This way no one is going to bother me because everyone else is still sleeping and it is quiet. It also helps clear my mind for the day and sets the tone! First try the morning and if that fails try at night.
So, they might not be the greatest tips of all time and maybe you found better ones out there. But this is what works best for me. As you begin and work through your meditation journey you will find your own tips and tricks that help you.
As always, make sure to leave a comment here or on my Instagram page (@iamdevonjade) to share if you used any of these tips or if you have some of your own!
*Check out my post all about my meditation and the truth behind it!*